THE ACADEMIC PLANNING UNIT
The history of Academic Planning Unit in Nigerian Universities dates back to early 1980s when the unit was established by National Universities Commission to coordinate academic activities and programmes in the Nigerian Universities, thus streamlining uncoordinated growth and development, as well as unnecessary duplication of courses by various teaching units. It was also expected that the unit would collect, manage and interpret data to guide the academic development of universities and to ensure compliance with NUC's minimum academic standards and the University Senate's academic requirements.
The Academic Planning Unit of LAUTECH was established in 2002. Hitherto, the duties of the Academic Planning Unit were handled by the Registry Department of the University.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE ACADEMIC PLANNING UNIT
In line with the vision and the mission of LAUTECH, the unit is to enhance efficiency in teaching, learning and research, and, to ensure the generation, dissemination and publication of qualitative ideas, information and knowledge.
• To ensure the provision of conducive teaching, learning and research environment for staff and students.
• To ensure efficient and effective utilization of academic resources.
• To ensure the compliance of the university with the National Universities Commission (NUC) guidelines on academic matters
• To ensure that the University conforms with international academic planning unit requirement.
STRUCTURE OF THE UNIT
The Academic Planning Unit is an integral part of Vice Chancellor's office and headed by a Director.
The Director of Academic Planning Unit reports directly to the Vice Chancellor to whom he/she is directly responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Unit.
Apart from the Director, other staff members are: Administrative Officer, Secretary, Academic Planning Officer, Typist and Clerical Staffs. The unit also makes use of assigned staff like corps members and Students with Mathematical orientations on Internship Training (I.T).
Professor O.O. Oloke - 2002 to 2005
Professor G.O. Farinu - August 2005 to August 2006.
Professor A.A. Odunsi - August 2006 – till date.
FUNCTIONS OF DIRECTOR OF ACADEMIC PLANNING
• Advising and assisting the Vice-Chancellor on matters relating to the academic thrusts of the University such as staffing and academic development programmes.
• Quality control of the university guiding each unit on operation of the University academic brief.
• Seek Clarification from NUC on academic matters and providing such to appropriate Sections of the University through the Vice-Chancellor.
• Maintain a computer based data bank on student and staff statistics for use in planning, budgeting and other management requirements
• Coordinate the preparation of academic brief and periodic Strategic Plans for the university.
• Coordination and collation of information to NUC for national planning purposes.
• Promotion of the quality of teaching, learning and research in the university through periodic evaluation of academic activities in the University
• The office of Director of Academic Planning provide academic liaison between LAUTECH and external bodies both local and foreign e.g. Association of African Universities (AAU) etc.
• The Director of Academic Planning serves as a member of the following university bodies and Commission e.g Senate; Postgraduate School Board; Development Committee among others.
NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE UNIT
Participation in Universities System Annual Review in August 2006
Organization of the 1 st LAUTECH Research and Development Fair in November 2006.
• Organization of Accreditation of all existing academic programmes in the University.
• Initiate action on the preparation of the 5-year Strategic Plan for the University.
• Submission to NUC of proposals for resource verification visits of five new programmes.
• Determination of the carrying capacity of the University
• Advisory role in the establishment of two additional departments in the Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences.
• Collaboration with the Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor to organize a Public Lecture in February 2007.
• Coordination of the University team to the 2006 National Science and Technology Exhibition Week.
• Coordination of NUC system wide Programme Audit of Nigerian Universities in LAUTECH.