The physical planning unit commenced operation immediately at the inception of the University in 1990. However, the unit was sub-divided into two on December 13th, 2000 viz: Capital Projects Monitoring Unit and Planning Unit to improve its functions and responsibilities to the University.
Functions of the Unit
The functions and duties of the capital project monitoring unit include:
- Monitoring the construction activities of all projects embarked upon by the University.
- Preparation of comprehensive but detailed briefs for consultants.
- Recommending consultants for appointment and co-ordinating their activities.
- Obtaining sketch designs and plans and discuss with consultant to ensure all briefs are respected and that submissions conform with the spaces, requirement and standard guide of the University.
- Preparing contract documents, assembling all drawing and inviting tenders.
- Examining tenders and sending memoranda to the appropriate committee of Council.